Monday, November 21, 2011

What To Be Thankful For

Thanksgiving time rolls around every year and people begin to think of things that matter most to them, what they are thankful for. Commonly people go back to their family and friends as the one thing they are thankful for and the priceless moments they have spent with them. Unfortunately we cannot see everyone on Thanksgiving in order to tell these people in our lives that we are thankful for them. So instead of giving these important people a shout out before digging into turkey, I think this Thanksgiving should be different. We should really think about what we're thankful for and tell that person, they may not realize how important they really are in your life until you tell them. Think of this blogpost as the beginning of a Thanksgiving dinner table, I will say what I'm thankful for first and then you follow by stating what you're thankful for by telling these people that come to mind.

As cliche as it is, I'm thankful for my family. I'm so glad I can call my Dad for a quick laugh or a word of advice cause he somehow knows the answer to every problem. Running through Michael's lines for his play on the phone could not make me any more happier on a Sunday afternoon. I love that Joe and I still inbox each other at least twice a week catching up and laughing more than we ever have. I'm thankful that Teddy understands how to use Skype, even though he cant talk back him raising his ears, sniffing the screen and wagging his tail is all I need to see in order to know that he misses me as much as I miss him. And everyday I realize more and more that I could not live without my mom. Even if its a call home to tell her a stupid story, she listens with eager ears to be in tune even thousands of miles away. They are not just family, they are my best friends and the ones I turn to at the end of the day with knowledge they will be their conditionless. Happy Thanksgiving guys, you are irreplaceable.

I am thankful for tradition, and not just any tradition. Pie Night, the Wednesday night before Thanksgiving my entire maternal extended family gathers together to make pies for the dessert for the next day. Sharing family recipe secrets, catching up with family and meeting all the new people that have become a part of our tradition by invitation makes this tradition a one of a kind. No one will ever understand why Pie Night truly brings a smile to the Greene family. Martina Greene, my grandmother, the creator of pie night has supplied us with something to hold onto even if she wasn't there to bring everyone together. It's been a fast eight years and its still unbelievable that shes not there to direct instructions in the kitchen, but then we realize shes still there. We can feel her in the warmth of the smiles, laughter, and focus of pie making. Never will we let this tradition go, the only thing that can happen to it is to grow as we grow. Happy Thanksgiving, fam!

I'm thankful for my high school education. As I look back on my last few months of high school I remember wishing to leave and move on with my life in a new city with new people. Now that I am there I have noticed how much Spellman was a part of my life, how much it changed me and taught me to be a better person. There is no other place where you can combine dancing and going to church or have fun traditions with learning. As goofy as it sounds, I enjoyed high school. There were definitely bumps in the road but I enjoyed it for what it was - awkward ages and the bliss of ignorance. And in the broad view of things, Spellman is my second family still and always. They were there for the ups when I was there to succeed and the downs in the worries of family sickness. Completely supportive in every way I will never once say high school was something I want to forget about. I grew up and became an adult there. Sharing a Thanksgiving football game with a family is going to be a gift, to spend time with the family I love- Happy Thanksgiving Spellman.

I am thankful for my Loyola community. This place has made me feel home in every aspect one could for 1,000 miles away from your true family. Shout outs begin to my Learning Community members we spend everyday with each other. Some of my most memorable moments are the conversations in all of your doorways, talking about the finer things of life like Spongebob or common interests in baking for example. We are not just a community, we are family. You can tell this right when you get off the elevator when members are  just sitting in the lounge enjoying each others company or writing papers till the crack of dawn in the hallway with each other. Each moment I spend with you guys is an adventure whether we go somewhere or not its regardless since you guys always take me somewhere and that is up, never feeling down. Second shout out goes to the rest of the people I have met here. You are all interesting and have a spot in my heart, some of you I may not remember your name but then again you've probably nicknamed me Boston girl (its fine I make nicknames too!) We may have had laughs, exchange of good conversation or went on an adventure but all moments are dear and the reason I have come to love Chicago much more than I thought I would. Thanks for making me feel at home even if Chicago isn't your home either.

The list goes on and on of what I am thankful for this year, maybe it's being away from what you're used to for 3 months that makes you realize the most important things of life. To keep it simple and sweet, I am thankful for the people that have made a difference in my life enough to make me want to change and always try to be a better person than yesterday. Happy Thanksgiving to anyone who read this, now go out and tell people that you're thankful for them!

No comments:

Post a Comment