Wednesday, November 9, 2011

A Secret Love Univ 101

  As a member of a learning community I spend most of my days with people that I live with on my floor in my classes. Today in addition to our other classes we had University 101 tossed in our schedule today. University 101 is hated by atleast 90 % of our freshman class and I have yet to meet the 10 % that do like this class. Most complain that it is either boring or a waste of time. Rather than complain I cherish every Wednesday 12:35 - 1:20. Whether we talk about study habits and college hardships or how to schedule for next semesters classes I soak in every word my advisor has to say since it is the only time I feel organized on this campus.

So, why do we talk about Univ 101? Today there was an exercise that split up the class to different signs placed around the room. Each sign signified a certain type of person that experienced hardship in American life. Some of the categories are: straight A student with AIDS, living in a car with two children as a recovering drug addict, an obese teenager, a light complexioned factory worker with their highest education at a GED, an immigrant with family members searching for citizenship, a successful open homosexual lawyer, etc. As a class we were directed to pick the one we wouldnt mind being in that situation if we had to have one burden.

It was interesting to see how everyone had a different view of what they can handle. Jess, my suitemate, made a very good point as she observed around the room and said how everyones upbringing had to do with who we are and what we believe to be the least stressful. Jess taught my friend Claire and I a good lesson as we leaned against the wall next to the straight A student with AIDS sign. We realized that she was right and that we should respect everyone around us and how they deal with the situations the world confronts them with. We may find living with AIDS a way to learn about life in a more meaningful way but others may look at it as a hole that you cannot crawl out of and a waste of good grades.

Life is like a box of chocolates and we all go for different assortments. Just like answers being sought out through different situations the box is finished from everyones different apreciations in taste. We could not live without eachother's different views to finish the box.

No comments:

Post a Comment